Plantastic! A to Z of Australian Plants
Did you know that there are plants that eat insects? Plants whose seeds spread in poo? Plants that move when you touch them? And plants that grow on other plants?
Plantastic! presents 26 of Australia's most unique and incredible native plants. Discover and identify native plants found in your local park, bushland, or even in your very own backyard.
With its perfect balance of fun facts, activities, adventurous ideas and gorgeous illustrations, Plantastic! will prove just how fantastic Australia's native plants really are!
- Full of interesting facts about Australian native plants that will get kids excited about the plant world and gently introduce general scientific concepts.
- Provides a Plantastic Activity for each featured species to encourage kids to search for and engage with the plants in their local area.
- Explains traditional Indigenous uses for some plants - including hunting, fishing, building and medicine.
- Includes common plants with wide distributions so that kids can discover more about their local flora, no matter where they live in Australia.
- The bright and beautiful illustrations will help kids easily recognize the plants from this book out in the wild.
About the Author
Catherine Clowes is a botanist and a teacher with a passion for Australian native plants. She works as a field botanist, is completing a PhD in botany and loves teaching students about the wonders of the plant world. Catherine wrote this book for her two kids, and she is excited to be able to share it with other young explorers too!
About the Illustrator
Rachel Gyan is an illustrator passionate about artful storytelling. Her heart-warming characters are empowered by whimsy, texture and vibrant colour palettes. Rachel enjoys studying Australian flora and wildlife, drawing inspiration from her surroundings to capture the beautiful and sometimes quirky nature of Australia in her work.